This week’s news includes some promising results on Rigosertib (a combined PLK1 and PI3K inhibitor). BioSante also announced new results on their latest GVAX pancreatic cancer vaccine trial. Also results from the UK on an Abraxane/Gemcitibine trial to reproduce the results seen in last years trial at TGEN.
In this weeks pancreatic cancer news:
- Cell-based pancreatic cancer vaccine increases survival – FierceVaccines
- Rigosertib drug shows promise against advanced pancreatic cancer
- BioSante rises on pancreatic cancer therapy data – chicagotribune.com
- Drug cocktail targets pancreatic cancer | Business Weekly | Technology | Biotechnology | Business news | Cambridge and the East of England
- Threshold’s phase 2b trial of TH-302 in patients with pancreatic cancer meets primary endpoint
Biotechnology company Threshold Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced that its 214 patient randomized controlled phase 2b clinical trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of two doses of the investigational agent TH-302 in combination with gemcitabine compared to gemcitabine alone in patients with first-line advanced pancreatic cancer achieved its primary endpoint, with a 63 per cent improvement in progression free survival and a safety profile consistent with previous studies.
- Drug combination domino effect destroys pancreatic cancer cells
The team at Cancer Research UK’s Cambridge Research Institute showed in mice that combining a chemotherapy drug called gemcitabine with an experimental drug called MRK003 sets off a chain of events that ultimately kills cancer cells – multiplying the effect of each drug on its own.
- Health News – Combined Inhibition of VEGF and c-MET Can Decrease Metastasis
Dual inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor and c-MET signaling inhibited tumor invasion and metastasis in a laboratory model of pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer, according to a paper published in Cancer Discovery, the newest journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.
- BBC News – Pancreatic cancer: Trial drug MRK003 shows promise
Scientists say they may have found a new weapon against pancreatic cancer after promising early trial results of an experimental drug combination.
- Monoclonal antibody detected early-stage pancreatic cancer marker | HemOncToday
- Grant of $600,000 will be used for local pancreatic cancer research
Here are the latest additions to the Mendeley Pancreatic Cancer Genomics collection.
- Kinome-wide siRNA screening identifies molecular targets mediating the sensitivity of pancreatic cancer cells to Aurora kinase inhibitors.
- Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 activity triggers an apoptotic response in pancreatic cancer cells through JNK-dependent mechanisms.
- The Mucin MUC4 and Its Membrane Partner ErbB2 Regulate Biological Properties of Human CAPAN-2 Pancreatic Cancer Cells via Different Signalling Pathways
- MicroRNAs Targeting Oncogenes Are Down-Regulated in Pancreatic Malignant Transformation from Benign Tumors.
- Molecular Mechanisms of Pancreatic Cancer Dissemination: The Role of the Chemokine System.
- Mucin-based Targeted Pancreatic Cancer Therapy.
- CDKN2A is the main susceptibility gene in Italian pancreatic cancer families.
- Developments in metastatic pancreatic cancer: Is gemcitabine still the standard?
- Sp/KLF Family and Tumor Angiogenesis in Pancreatic Cancer.
- Advances in Biomarker Research for Pancreatic Cancer.
- Role of Wnt/?-catenin Signaling in Drug Resistance of Pancreatic Cancer.
- Cytokine Network: New Targeted Therapy for Pancreatic Cancer.
- The emerging role of the TGF? tumor suppressor pathway in pancreatic cancer.
- Multicentre phase II trial of trastuzumab and capecitabine in patients with HER2 overexpressing metastatic pancreatic cancer.
- Activation of Protein Kinase C ? leads to increased pancreatic acinar cell de-differentiation in the absence of MIST1.
- Targeting opioidergic pathways as a novel biological treatment for advanced pancreatic cancer.
- Contribution of CXCR4 and SMAD4 in predicting disease progression pattern and benefit from adjuvant chemotherapy in resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Origin of metastases: Subspecies of cancers generated by intrinsic karyotypic variations.
- Expression of telomerase & its significance in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.
- Development of a Hypoxia-Selective Near-Infrared Fluorescent Probe for Non-invasive Tumor Imaging.